Announcement

Hi! This is my old blog that is no longer updated. Please visit my new website www.fourthfloorhomestead.com for new content and most of the content from this blog as well.

This old blog will be left up so as not to mess up people who have linked to recipes through Pinterest, Favorites etc.

Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A few little ways to help calm yourself down when you become overwhelmed.

Life today is too bloody busy. It seems as though the whole world took on this intensively rapid pace that humans as a species are not suited to handle. While many of us can thrive in this climate, I suspect these sudden bursts of hyper-productiveness are doomed to be short lived. We place the expectation on ourselves and others that we are unstoppable and never tiring. I don't remember life being this way as a kid. Perhaps I am just remembering the world through kid glasses but the lack of cell phones and internet definitely prevented life from moving at this speed. So what to do when our plates get too overloaded? I have a few little methods that work some of the time.

1. I write a list of everything I need to do that day and everything I have already done. I put it all together on one page, then cross off everything I have already done. It is a nice reminder that I've already done a bunch of stuff and should go easy on myself.




2. Take a shower. This might sound weird and I am not much of a believer in "hydrotherapy" but in that stressful state, a shower can be nice and relaxing.

3. Study related- I give myself little quizzes. This can be a very reassuring activity as I can prove to myself that I know that section and give myself permission to move on to the next topic. If I do poorly on a particular little quiz, I just put it aside and try again later.

4. Another study one- I write a list of all the topics I need to know. Every time I review a topic I check it off.

5. Some teas and herbs can be really helpful. Adaptogenic herbs are very useful when dealing with stress. I have had a great deal of success with Rhodiola and Siberian Ginseng, Rhodiala being the most dependable for me. Both of these also can improve concentration. Capsules work well but Rhodiola also comes as a tea if that is preferred.  The simple act of having a cup of tea can take the edge off. As with any botanical medicine, you would want to do your research or talk to an expert to minimize risk.

6. I am currently taking a break to do something I really enjoy. I like writing in blogs, I am a lot less stressed now than I was 15 minutes ago when I started writing.

7. Music. It's medicine for the soul. Find some tunes that bring out a positive emotion in you and listen as you work if you can.

That's all I got for now so I am off to study for the acupuncture exam I have at 8:30 am tomorrow. Nothing like getting needles first thing in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment